Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I ate a cricket and I liked it

Hehehe, sorry I couldn't resist the title. You will probably only understand the song reference if you are under 30 and living in the US. To all others, I apologize.

Last week was four days for province visits with the communications team. On Thursday, Ratna and I visited a brick making group in the evening. After an interview, we watched them make bricks using concrete, sand and one mold. Obviously, having only one mold means it takes a bit of time to make a couple bricks in the yard.

While we watched the men scoop the sand mix into the mold, one of the LWF project staff walked over from the house carrying a bowl. Something in me knew this bowl was not the usual fruit or ambok (more on ambok to come). Sure enough, the bowl was filled with crickets but not the little kind. No, these were the crickets as long as my little finger. She held out the bowl to me. I smiled (as I often do here) and took one.

For a moment, I am sure my expression was 100% culturally insensitive as I looked into the crickets little black eyes and he looked back at me. A little shiver of panic in my brain said, "Ahhh! Crickets are not for eating." Luckily, that tiny spasm was overcome by a voice saying, "Stop being rude and eat it you pansy!" And into my mouth went the cricket.

Now while I won't say I loved the cricket, it was actually good. Like salty, extra crunchy and sometimes chewy sunflower seeds. At first it was weird to feel the shape of the bug but once you start chewing, it is not bad at all. I even at a few more and Ratna took a picture of me eating one. I am not sure if eating a cricket means I am ready for one of the giant fried spiders here but I am one step closer to giving it a try.

Number of Provinces Visited: 5
Number of Crickets Eaten: 5

4 comments:

S said...

Were they cooked? If so, how? I hear grasshoppers are good if fried in butter with lots of garlic, and a part of me believes it.

Oh, and I'm under 30. And I live in the U.S. And I have no idea what song you're referencing...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cookie.

Anonymous said...

Sad to say, I completely knew what you were referencing with the title.

"Crickets are not for eating!" - I love it! You know I'm totally living vicariously through you right now. While I can't say I'm in a mad rush to go eat crickets, that's a pretty awesome story.

(Giant fried spiders sound scary!)

Oh, and you know I want to see photos of you eating crickets.

ae said...

Was this a test to see if anyone over 30 living in the States reads your blog? If so, send me a cricket. (Katy Perry: "I Kissed a Girl.")

Grubs are good; don't refuse a grub, especially fried in palm oil.

Rachel, your posts are like little hors d'oeuvres. Are you tired of rice yet?

Bon aperitif, Andy

Mitchell said...

Retcher,

Appropriate name now. I'm with "S" I don't know the song. Post a picture with a spider hanging out of your mouth. I'll give you a dollar.